NUS-USI is your national union representing all university and college students in Northern Ireland.
It's unique. It’s one of the first organisations in Northern Ireland that was set up to work on both an all - Ireland and all – UK basis.
Being part of NUS-USI means that students’ unions here take part in the democracy of the National Union of Students UK (NUS) and the Union of Students in Ireland (USI), as well as forming their own authentic voice and campaigns through the Northern Ireland based NUS-USI.
It recognises something that the student movement has at its core – that we’re better off when we work together.
Currently 100% of students’ unions in Northern Ireland are members of NUS-USI.
Over the last 2 years alone, with students’ unions and students working together we had some big wins for students.
- Over £40 million in support for students through the #StudentsDeserveBetter campaign. Including £500 Covid Disruption Grants which were paid directly to all full-time undergraduate students.
- In our push for the payment to be extended to all students we gained over 3500 petition signatures and secured a debate in the NI Assembly debate, winning the House’s support.
- £2000 payments were made to Health & Social Care students, securing one of the asks of the Student Healthcare Heroes campaign which we run alongside QUBSU and UUSU.
- We secured the inclusion of support for students in the 10 year Mental Health Strategy, with commitment to annual funding.
- We secured Period Poverty pilots schemes at universities and colleges.
- By working with USI we secured access to Erasmus for NI students through the Irish government.
- We hosted a protest at Stormont on student housing crisis as part of the USI ‘No Keys No Degrees campaign’ drawing support from across the political spectrum.
To find out more read our impact report for 2020/21 and our plan for 2021/22.
What does it really mean to be a member of NUS-USI?
- Your students’ union gets a say in electing NUS-USI’s president, the NUS UK officers and the USI officer board. These influential student representatives are responsible for leading nationwide campaigns to change students’ lives.
- Member students’ unions have multiple opportunities throughout the year to hold officers to account and shape the campaigns they are running.
- Students and student representatives at member students’ unions have the chance to attend our national conferences, and USI Congress, as well as accessing training and liberation activist networks.
- By being part of the only national students’ union in Northern Ireland you have your voice represented at Stormont.